Chicken Breasts in Chutney Cream with Curried Rice
This is a recipe of my mothers that I have played with over the years. The first time I made it myself was on a road trip with an old friend to Northern California in 1988. We made up a recipe very close to this for a group of friends living in Santa Cruz.
- 3 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned and split. (yields 6 individual chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions including tops, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons Chutnut or Major Grey’s chutney
- 1/3 cup madeira
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream (whole fat)
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 Parsley sprigs
- 3 tablespoon butter (for rice)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 cup long-grained rice
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place each breast half between pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until about ¼ inch thick. Dust chicken pieces lightly with flour; shake off excess flour.
- In a 10 to 12 inch skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken, a portion at a time, without crowding. Cook, turning until browned on both sides; 4 to 6 minutes. As chicken is cooked, lift from pan and arrange on a warm platter. Add more butter to pan as needed.
- After all chicken is cooked, add to pan, onions, fresh ginger, chutney, Madeira and broth. Boil over high heat, stirring until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add cream and boil, stirring until reduced to about 1¼ cup.
- Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with crystallized ginger.
- In a 10 to 12 inch skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add 1 small onion, chopped. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1 cup long-grained rice. Cook, stirring until rice turns opaque, about 7 minutes.
- Add 1¼ cup chicken broth and 1¼ cup water. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Spoon curried rice alongside chicken. Garnish with parsley. Serve with Curried Rice.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 45 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour.