Duck Breast with Pineapple-Cherry Chutney
- 2 cups (¾-inch) cubed fresh pineapple
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- â…“ cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- â…› teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless duck breast halves, skinned
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. To prepare chutney, combine first 9 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 10 minutes or until syrupy, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
2. To prepare duck, heat a large, heavy skillet coated with cooking spray over high heat. Sprinkle duck with salt and five-spice powder. Add duck to skillet; cook 4 minutes. Turn duck over. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place duck on a cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut duck into ¼-inch thick diagonal slices.
3. Add chutney and cilantro to skillet; cook over medium heat 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Serve chutney with duck.
Yield: 4 servings