Curried Salmon with Tomato Jam
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (6-ounce) skinned salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Cooking oil spray
- 2½ cups diced skinned, seeded tomato
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1½ cups hot cooked basmati rice
1. To prepare salmon, combine the first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge salmon in flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture for tomato jam.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add salmon; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove salmon from pan; keep warm.
To prepare tomato jam, place pan over medium-high heat. Add tomato, onion, and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Stir in reserved flour mixture, currants and vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes). Spoon ¾ cup rice onto each of 2 plates; top each serving with 1 salmon fillet and ¼ cup of tomato jam. Yield: 2 servings.