Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 6 large carrots (about 1 pound), peeled
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- ¼ cup candied crystallized ginger, chopped
- 7 cups defatted chicken broth
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup half and half
- 8 sprigs watercress, washed for garnish
1. Slice carrots and celery crosswise and place in heavy pot with onion and ginger.
2. Add chicken broth to pot; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add rice. Season with salt and let rest 15 minutes to cool slightly.
3. Purée in small batches in a blender until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in half and half.
4. Pinch top 2 inches off 8 sprigs of watercress.
5. To serve, heat soup through but do not boil. Garnish each portion with a sprig of watercress.