Grandma Tugwell’s Arroz Con Pollo
- 5 pounds Chicken
- 2 quart Water
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 large onions
- 2 medium green peppers
- 2 large sections garlic (more if you like garlic)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- ¼ pound Sweet Italian sausage or Puerto Rican chorizos (do not use Mexican chorizos)
- 1 pound Ham
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 cups olives either black or green
- 2 packages Salzon (found in Spanish food store)
- 3 cups uncooked rice
1. Simmer chicken in salted water until meat can be removed easily from bones. (Do not overcook).
2. Cut ham and chorizos into small pieces and sauté slowly until ham browns a bit.
3. Cut up all ingredients except capers and olives in small pieces and add to pan to simmer, covered for 10 minutes, adding a little of the chicken water and tomato paste. (This is called “refrito”)
4. Remove meat from bones and return to water together with the refrito. This can be refrigerated for the next day’s use.
5. An hour before serving, bring mixture to a boil and add rice slowly, olives and caper. Without stirring, allow to boil until liquid is just below the surface of the rice. Cover and let stand in 250º oven for ½ hour.
Serves 6 – 8.